Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Living with Schizophrenia // 16 May 7 - 9 AEST

hello

I have only recently been introduced to schizophrenia, 7 months ago. my son was detained and diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia. He fled the state towards the end of the CTO.

He has delusions and paranoia as I perceive, when I visited him back then but also now in discussions on the telephone and text messages. He believes that others are paranoid and that he is well.

For me, a huge shock, huge questions....how? ...why?

I have noticed a huge silence around the subject, stigma, so many professionals seem to know little about it.

What are your thoughts on that?

Also when you were ill and not medicated can you remember any of the kindness or love shown to you by your family/friends/loved ones?

thanking you in advance

@Queenie I can relate to pretty much everything you've just described. Even though I've put my story out there publicly, knowing how many people it has reached still scares me a bit! I'm looking forward to chatting with you as well 🙂

@NikNik

nah not at all. I have spent a lot of time in hospitals getting asked by complete strangers who work in there daily about symptoms and basically i have had to talk about it so much that im used to being very open about it.

i wont talk about it if im not asked about it becuase well i normally get distracted with conversations that interest me more then talking about myself, i prefer listening over talking but yeah it doesnt bother me to talk about it to whomever

Thanks for the insight @Zam and also being so open. You're breaking down the stigma every time you share your experience with people!

@Former-Member, how is your son? havent talked to you in a bit, hope he is doing well

@Former-Member 

"For me, a huge shock, huge questions....how? ...why?

I have noticed a huge silence around the subject, stigma, so many professionals seem to know little about it.

What are your thoughts on that?

Also when you were ill and not medicated can you remember any of the kindness or love shown to you by your family/friends/loved ones?"

How , why?- I belive it's down to brain chemistry. For me illicit drugs may have triggered it.
Professionals don't understand and don't talk about it even if they read on your file that you're on antispychotics.
And lastly, for me, yes I remember most of what my family and firends tried to do to support me even though at the time it didnt make any sense and may have been seen as a threat. I had paranoid delusions too and like Hannah93 says, what you need to hold onto is hope - but it's not always easy when you're so sick.

hello @Zam

you are so lovely, thank you for remembering me.

He has actually given his mobile phone no to both his dad and myself now which is huge.

I had contact with him for the first time this morning in just under two weeks so that has been very worrying.. actually it still is worrying after I have spoken to him as well... he believes that so many people are after him and that our lives are in danger too.

In relation to family/friends/loved ones, as you have mentioned, this is a sensitive subject for myself and my direct family, also!

thank you @Former-Member

reading those words:

yes I remember most of what my family and firends tried to do to support me

mean so much

yes hope for yourselves and hope for your loved ones

I love your honesty!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance